Syrian opposition group pleads for recognition
Wednesday 14 November 2012
The leader of the new opposition coalition has urged European states to recognise the group as the legitimate government, enabling it to buy the weapons it needs to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.
Britain and France appeared to set further conditions, notably that the coalition first rally support inside the country, before they grant full recognition to the Syrian National Coalition. They are also wary about anti-Western Islamist elements among the rebels.
So far, concerted action on Syria has been thwarted by divisions within the opposition and by big power rivalries and a regional divide between Sunni Muslim foes of Mr Assad and his Shia allies in Iran and Lebanon.
People are criticising Fifa World Cup sponsors with corrupt corporate logos
Natalie Portman tells Harvard graduates: 'Accept your lack of knowledge'
British tourists complain impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Fifa corruption live: Sebb Blatter warns 'more bad news may follow' as he clings to power
Skull found in Spain could be the world's first-ever murder victim
- 1 Autistic adults could take pure MDMA to 'reduce social anxiety'
- 2 Before you complain about your GP, this is what you need to know about actually doing the job
- 3 Father of 12 accused of raping, beating, starving and abusing his own children in US 'cult'
- 4 Britain's Got Talent 2015: Jamie Raven divides Twitter as fans expose mind-boggling magic trick
- 5 Charlie Charlie Challenge explained: not a Mexican demon being summoned — it's gravity
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: One of the South East's fastest growing full s...
£35-40k (DOE) + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Marketing Communicati...
£30000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Estimating, preparation of tech...
£14000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will work as part of a smal...