Text message warning to Syrian rebels
Friday 28 September 2012
President Bashar al-Assad's regime has sent text messages to mobile phones across Syria with a warning for the rebels: "Game over."
The messages signed by the Syrian Arab Army urge the rebels to surrender their weapons and warn that the countdown to evict foreign fighters has begun.
The texts are part of the regime's psychological warfare – army helicopters also dropped leaflets warning rebels in Damascus to hand over their arms and seek amnesty last month.
Syrians say they began receiving the messages a day after rebels bombed a military command centre in Damascus – a major security breach.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
World news in pictures
British man faces court after confessing to slitting two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Asteroid nine times the size of the QE2 liner to sail pass Earth
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 4 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£45000 - £50000 per annum + Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: Our client is reco...
£28800 - £36000 per annum: Randstad Education London: Full time, permanent SEN...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...