Thousands mark Easter Mass in Jerusalem
Sunday 08 April 2012
Thousands of Christians celebrated Easter Mass in Jerusalem in an array of processions and prayer sessions.
In the ancient Church of the Holy Sepulchre, clergymen in flowing white and gold robes celebrated Mass, the air fragrant with incense.
Italian prime minister Mario Monti, in the church on a private visit, joined the masses of Christian faithful. He shook hands with pilgrims and spoke to monks in the Old City.
Just outside the ancient city's walls, about 350 Protestants sang Gospel music in the Garden Tomb, where Jesus is believed to be buried.
Easter Sunday caps a week of holidays that commemorate the crucifixion and return to life of Jesus.
Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Palm Sunday today and Easter next week.
Israel-Gaza conflict: Israeli targeting policy under scrutiny after shellfire hits a mother and child, a school full of refugees and a doctor’s home
Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich claims Noel Gallagher helped him kick his cocaine addiction
Peaches Geldof: Her final day – and her fatal decision
Iraq crisis: Isis orders Mosul shop keepers to cover mannequins
Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 1 Is Gideon Levy the most hated man in Israel or just the most heroic?
- 2 50 books for students to read this summer: From Ernest Hemingway to Gillian Flynn
- 3 McDonald’s removes chicken nuggets from the menu in Hong Kong amid major food scare
- 4 Students offered grants if they tweet pro-Israeli propaganda
- 5 Joey Barton and Yossi Benayoun become involved in Twitter row over Israel-Gaza conflict
£34000 - £36000 per annum: Charter Selection: This market leading organisation...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: My client who are a leading publisher in...
competitive: Progressive Recruitment: A world leading media organisation is cu...
£280 - £300 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Test Analyst, Edinburgh, Credit Ris...