Thousands mark Easter Mass in Jerusalem
Sunday 08 April 2012
Thousands of Christians celebrated Easter Mass in Jerusalem in an array of processions and prayer sessions.
In the ancient Church of the Holy Sepulchre, clergymen in flowing white and gold robes celebrated Mass, the air fragrant with incense.
Italian prime minister Mario Monti, in the church on a private visit, joined the masses of Christian faithful. He shook hands with pilgrims and spoke to monks in the Old City.
Just outside the ancient city's walls, about 350 Protestants sang Gospel music in the Garden Tomb, where Jesus is believed to be buried.
Easter Sunday caps a week of holidays that commemorate the crucifixion and return to life of Jesus.
Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Palm Sunday today and Easter next week.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
£18000 per annum, Benefits: & 10% commission: Inspiring Interns: Our client is...
£42000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Audit Senior - Central Lon...
£35000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: In-house Commerci...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: One of the world's leading providers of trading ...