Troops fire on Yemen protest
Monday 04 April 2011
A doctor and witnesses say Yemeni troops opened fire on protesters demanding the ouster of President Ali Abdullah Saleh in a southern city, killing one and wounding more than 30.
The witnesses say thousands of protesters were marching through the city of Taiz toward the main square on Monday when they were blocked by troops at the governor's headquarters. They say clashes erupted and soldiers on the roofs of nearby buildings opened fire with live ammunition.
Bushra al-Maqtari, an activist in Taiz, says one person was killed. Zakariya Abdul-Qader, a doctor at a clinic in the main square set up by protesters says more than 30 people were wounded, including nine with gunshots to the head and chest.
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
£65000 - £80000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Finance Director required to jo...
£15000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity fo...
£50000 per annum + 26 days holiday,pension: Ashdown Group: A highly successful...
£27000 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: A Quality Technician...