Tunisia 'offers asylum to Bashar Assad'
Tuesday 28 February 2012
Tunisia's president has said he is ready to offer asylum to Syrian leader Bashar Assad as part of a negotiated solution to the Syrian conflict.
In an interview set to appear tomorrow in the French-language daily La Presse, President Moncef Marzouki says he is ready to give asylum to Assad and his associates.
A brief article on the paper's website today described the interview.
Tunisia was the first country to recall its ambassador from Syria in protest at violence against opposition supporters.
Assad's forces continue to bombard a number of cities and opposition activists say more than 8,000 have died in the last 11 months.
Tunisia hosted a conference of "Friends of Syria" on Friday which called for an immediate ceasefire and the delivery of humanitarian aid to Syria.
Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
Costa Concordia: Shipment of Mob drugs was hidden aboard cruise liner when it hit rocks off Italian coast, investigators say
Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
Turkey power cut: Prime Minister says nationwide blackout could be caused by terrorists
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...