UK agencies give their verdict on Damascus chemical weapons attack
See below for links to the full documents which are set to be the basis for this afternoon's crucial debate on the Middle East crisis
The Bashar al-Assad regime was “highly likely” to have been responsible for a chemical weapons attack in Syria, and the UK could fire upon military targets even if the UN Security Council blocks action, according to official documents released today.
The Government has released in full both its legal advice on a potential cruise missile strike, and the findings of the Joint Intelligence Committee which has
A Downing Street spokeswoman said: “Today we have laid in the library of the House information on what we know about the attack in Damascus last week and the Government's position on the legality of any military action in response.
“This reflects the PM's commitment to build a consensual approach and to ensure that MPs can properly consider the issues before voting on the UK response.”
The Joint Intelligence Committee report
• “The judgment of the Joint Intelligence Committee is that a chemical weapons attack did occur in Damascus last week”
• “It is highly likely that the Syrian regime was responsible”
• “There is no credible intelligence or other evidence to substantiate the claims or the possession of chemical weapons by the opposition
Chemical weapon use by Syrian regime: the UK government legal position
• “The large-scale use of chemical weapons by the regime in a heavily populated area on 21 August 2013 is a war crime”
• “It is likely that the regime will seek to use such weapons again”
• “If action in the UN Security Council is blocked, the UK would still be permitted under international law to take exceptional measures to alleviate the scale of the overwhelming humanitarian catastrophe in Syria”
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...