UK agencies give their verdict on Damascus chemical weapons attack
See below for links to the full documents which are set to be the basis for this afternoon's crucial debate on the Middle East crisis
Thursday 29 August 2013
The Bashar al-Assad regime was “highly likely” to have been responsible for a chemical weapons attack in Syria, and the UK could fire upon military targets even if the UN Security Council blocks action, according to official documents released today.
The Government has released in full both its legal advice on a potential cruise missile strike, and the findings of the Joint Intelligence Committee which has
A Downing Street spokeswoman said: “Today we have laid in the library of the House information on what we know about the attack in Damascus last week and the Government's position on the legality of any military action in response.
“This reflects the PM's commitment to build a consensual approach and to ensure that MPs can properly consider the issues before voting on the UK response.”
The Joint Intelligence Committee report
• “The judgment of the Joint Intelligence Committee is that a chemical weapons attack did occur in Damascus last week”
• “It is highly likely that the Syrian regime was responsible”
• “There is no credible intelligence or other evidence to substantiate the claims or the possession of chemical weapons by the opposition
Chemical weapon use by Syrian regime: the UK government legal position
• “The large-scale use of chemical weapons by the regime in a heavily populated area on 21 August 2013 is a war crime”
• “It is likely that the regime will seek to use such weapons again”
• “If action in the UN Security Council is blocked, the UK would still be permitted under international law to take exceptional measures to alleviate the scale of the overwhelming humanitarian catastrophe in Syria”
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
Lee Rigby murder: How killers Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale became ultra-violent radicals
Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
Paul Walker death caused by speed alone
Apollo Theatre collapse: Scores injured after ceiling collapses in London's West End
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 North Koreans are gasping for the truth: Let's give it to them
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 5 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- < Previous
- Next >
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of English MP...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of Yr6 Gillin...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Teacher of Geography (...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Out of Hours Club Mana...