Woman bomber kills 54 Shia pilgrims
Tuesday 02 February 2010
A female suicide bomber killed at least 54 people yesterday after detonating an explosives belt among a group of Shia pilgrims in the Iraqi capital.
The bombing was the first major strike this year against pilgrims making their way to the southern city of Karbala to mark a Shia holy day. It raises fears of an escalation of attacks as hundreds of thousands of pilgrims mark the end of 40 days of mourning following the anniversary of the death of Imam Hussein, a revered Shia figure.
The bomber hid the explosives underneath an abaya – a black cloak worn from head to toe by women – as she joined the group in Baghdad's Shia-dominated suburb of Shaab. The 54 dead included 18 women and 12 children, while 117 people were wounded.
David Cameron stung by jellyfish: PM hurt after ignoring advice of locals while on holiday
South Korea ferry: Vice principal rescued from sinking ship found hanged
Oscar Pistorius trial: The case against Oscar Pistorius – and why the prosecution claims his story doesn't add up
Peaches Geldof funeral: Private ceremony to be held at same place as her mother Paula Yates on Easter Monday
Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...