Woman bomber kills 54 Shia pilgrims
Tuesday 02 February 2010
A female suicide bomber killed at least 54 people yesterday after detonating an explosives belt among a group of Shia pilgrims in the Iraqi capital.
The bombing was the first major strike this year against pilgrims making their way to the southern city of Karbala to mark a Shia holy day. It raises fears of an escalation of attacks as hundreds of thousands of pilgrims mark the end of 40 days of mourning following the anniversary of the death of Imam Hussein, a revered Shia figure.
The bomber hid the explosives underneath an abaya – a black cloak worn from head to toe by women – as she joined the group in Baghdad's Shia-dominated suburb of Shaab. The 54 dead included 18 women and 12 children, while 117 people were wounded.
Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
How China's richest man Li Hejun lost $15bn in an hour - and made a fortune
Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
Snoop Dogg on why he doesn't regret displaying misogyny towards women
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 Chelsea victory parade: Chelsea mocked on Twitter as 'tens of fans' pack the streets of London
- 3 US warned by Chinese media to stop meddling or 'war will be inevitable'
- 4 Woman, 21, dies after taking contraceptive pill that 'caused fatal blood clot'
- 5 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...