How to enter
Send a postcard with your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, the number of the Lot for which you are bidding plus the size of your bid, to: CHARITY AUCTION, Independent House, 191 Marsh Wall, London E14 9RS. Or follow one of the links on the auction page and bid online.
The auction closes at 1pm on Friday, 23 December 2005. Each lot carries a minimum reserve price of £50. All bids are binding. The Editor's decision is final.
Please note you submit your bid on the condition that you have read, understood and accepted all the terms and conditions below, including Term and Condition 10 below that no lot may be transferred by the winner to any other person as a gift or otherwise, unless specifically agreed by the Editor.
Please note the specific conditions applying to the Lots listed below.
General Terms and conditions
1. By bidding for any lot you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
2. The auction is open to UK residents aged 18 or over.
3. When you place a bid you thereby enter a contractually binding obligation, with irrevocable effect, to complete the transaction if you are the winning bidder of that lot. The 'winning bidder' is the person certified to be the highest bidder by the Editor at the end of the auction, provided that their bid meets the reserve, and it includes any underÐbidder who is awarded the lot following the failure for any reason of a higher bid. If there are two or more bidders with equal claims to be the winning bidder, the Editor shall select one by drawing names out of a hat.
4. All payments must be made by cheque payable to "Independent Christmas Appeal". No other method of payment will be accepted, including, but not limited to, any credit card, CAF Charity Card/Voucher/Cheque or any other similar charity account payment.
5.The editor's decision in all respects as to the winning bid is final and cannot be challenged, nor will any explanation or reason be given.
6.You are not able to retract any bid under any circumstances after it has been submitted to us.
7.Before you place any bid you must ensure that you are legally able to bid for and to buy that particular lot. It is the responsibility of all bidders to ensure that, should they be the winning bidder, they have the necessary permissions or authorisations to carry out the activity specified in the bid, including (by way of example, not limitation) appropriate indentification, clean driving licence and minimum age qualification, security clearance, and so on.
8. If you want to know what qualification is required for the winner of any lot you should email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are the highest bidder, but in the sole and unfettered judgment of the Editor you do not meet any such qualification, then the Editor shall be entitled without challenge or complaint to award the lot to the next highest bidder who does meet the qualification. Unless specifically stated otherwise, the winner is responsible for all arrangements and costs required to take up the fulfilment of their lot, including, but not limited to, travel and accommodation costs, travel insurance and any other necessary documentation, including passports and visas.
9. Lots will lapse, and not be claimable, unless fulfilled within 2006. No cash alternative will be offered.
10. If you wish to give a lot as a gift, including if you intend the lot to be enjoyed by a minor who is not authorised to bid themselves, specific approval must be obtained from the Editor, via email@example.com, in advance of bidding, except if it is obviously clear that the Lot will be enjoyed by a minor. Unless otherwise specifically agreed by the Editor, a lot can not be transferred as a gift and can only be enjoyed by the winning bidder within the UK or as otherwise specified.
11. Names of winning bidders will be published in The Independent and on the website on Saturday, 24 December, 2005. By bidding for any lot, you agree that should you be a winning bidder your name can be used for publicity purposes associated with the auction, unless anonymity is specifically agreed with the Editor.
12.Winning bidders will, thereafter, be sent a letter setting out the details for claiming their lot which will include requirements relating to the due payment of the bid fee. Failure to comply with these requirements shall render a bid void, and the lot so affected will be awarded to the appropriate underÐbidder at the Editor's discretion.
13.It shall be the responsibility of the winning bidder to come to agreement with the appropriate member of The Independent's staff or columnist over arrangements for the fulfilment of their lot. All the aspects of the fulfillment of the bids are subject to such agreement being reached and to availability and subject to the specific conditions with may apply to the Lots listed below.
14. Winning bidders cannot claim any cash or other alternative to the lot they have won, and unless otherwise specifically agreed by the Editor they cannot transfer the lot to any other person.
15. INM will not be liable for any circumstances beyond its reasonable control that prevent a lot being taken up by a winning bidder. To the extent permitted by law, INM does not accept any liability for any loss, damage, claim or costs howsoever arising from or incurred wholly or partly by participation in the auction.
16. No correspondence will be entered into. The decision of the Editor shall be final and unchallengable and in his absolute discretion he may declare any entry void.
17. Unless the entrant specifically requests the contrary by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, INM will hold their personal details on its own or a duly authorised agent's registered database for the purposes of contacting you by e-mail, SMS or telephone to offer you commercial opportunities that may be of interest to you. From time to time other carefully selected organisations may be licensed by us to use that data to similar purposes.
Specific Terms and Conditions
Lot 5: Subject to Will Self's agreement in relation to location.
Lot 11: Limited to the London area only.
Lot 22: Subject to Jeremy Beadle's agreement in relation to location.
Lot 32: All bidders/intended recipients of this lot must be over 25.
Lot 36: Subject to Virginia Ironside's agreement in relation to location.
Lot 41: Subject to Julia Stephenson's agreement in relation to location.Reuse content