United States and Russia confer as Syria crisis takes dark turn
The United States and Russia held surprise talks on the crisis in Syria today, suggesting they may be looking to put acrimony aside amid allegations that President Bashar al-Assad could be preparing to use chemical weapons.
The Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, met her Russian counterpart, Sergei Lavrov, and the UN Syria envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi, in Dublin, just a day after unconfirmed reports that the regime has loaded the nerve agent sarin into bombs.
The meeting between the US and Russia comes despite acrimony between the nations, which have criticised each others’ roles in the conflict. But both are concerned about the potential use of chemical agents. The US has warned that the use of such weapons by Mr Assad would be a “red line” that would lead to action. The latest flurry of condemnation followed US intelligence that the regime had moved chemical stockpiles. Syria accused the West of hyping fears that the regime would use the weapons as a “pretext for intervention”.
“Syria stresses again, for the tenth, the hundredth time, that if we had such weapons, they would not be used against its people,” the deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Maqdad said. “We would not commit suicide.” Damascus also sharply criticised the deployment of Patriot missiles along the Turkish border, describing it as “provocative”.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...