Railway disaster victims burnt
Monday 09 August 1999
As priests chanted hymns, thousands of villagers assembled by the Balasan river to witness the cremation of 145 bodies mangled in the wreckage of two express trains that slammed into each other in the dark early last Monday. The rest of the 285 victims were taken away by relatives for cremation.
Workers had stacked wood into funeral pyres by the Balasan, and at a second site by the nearby Shahu river.
Photographs of the bodies were taken on Friday to help to process compensation claims, officials said. Relatives of those thought to have died had visited two hospitals in north-east India where the dead were laid out. But with so many crushed beyond recognition, 190 dead remained unclaimed.
Fearing an epidemic from so many bodies decomposing, Chief Minister Jyoti Basu, the highest elected official of West Bengal state, ordered the mass cremations. (AP)
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...