Secret eider way
Sunday 18 June 1995
NOW to the small matter of 140,000 missing ducks. Their winter whereabouts is another of nature's gravest mysteries - one which it's rather a shame to dispel, even if, like us, you did not know until now that you did not know.
The ducks in question, the Alaskan eider (as in down) gather for the summer in the sheltering forests of western Alaska. Comes a certain autumn night and poof! - or perhaps foop! - they all vanish without trace.
Now, thanks to a - in our view, slightly underhand - trick with a banded duck and a satellite tracking device, all is revealed. The ducks go and stand in small holes they have made in the otherwise featureless sheet- ice of the Arctic Ocean. A ridiculous way to spend the winter, did you say?
Listen, these are ducks ( we're talking about, not Margaret Drabble. Or even Jacques Chirac. In any case, you should be grateful, huddled under your duvet on raw summer nights, to think of those resilient birds out on the pack-ice producing down of the highest quality.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Exclusive: UK approved £7m Israeli arms sales in six months before Gaza conflict
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...