'Suicide' community to be moved
Thursday 11 February 1993
The 500 people living on a barren island with no running water or sewerage have been plagued by social and economic problems. The Newfoundland government promised improvements when it moved the Innu from the mainland in 1967. The community is expected to be moved back nearer the caribou herds that form a vital part of its culture. The site has not been chosen, but Mr Siddon said Ottawa would immediately begin planning the move with the Innu leadership and the Newfoundland government.
Tuesday's announcement was met with joy by Innu leaders. 'It's wonderful,' said Davis Inlet Chief Katie Rich. 'It hasn't sunk in yet.'
In January six Innu teenagers high on petrol fumes found in an unheated shack fought their rescuers, saying they wanted to die. Native leaders say 42 children in the community are addicted to solvents.
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
£16500 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the leading Mercedes-Ben...
£27500 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£19500 - £23500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Experienced B2B Telemarketer wa...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This global company are looking for two Showro...