The Gatt Deal: The dealers: fair, tough, urbane and direct: MacSharry: theatrical feats
Wednesday 15 December 1993
He was forced into extraordinary theatrical feats to prove his worth. In November 1992 he was closeted in a Chicago hotel for days with his US opposite number trying to cut a deal. But the talks failed. Mr MacSharry resigned his job as a negotiator, claiming that he had been undercut by Jacques Delors, his boss. Mr Delors climbed down, and the Irishman came back, his status firmly underpinned. Days later, a US-EU farm trade package - the Blair House deal - was agreed. It became the linchpin of the package agreed yesterday.
His single-mindedness, memory for detail and driving energy made the most difficult dossier - agriculture - possible. Mr Mac Sharry returned to Ireland and to business last year, saying his public career was over.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Ryanair calls on CAA to act over air traffic chaos caused by telephone system glitch
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...