Unita's fierce assault leaves city in flames
Thursday 16 June 1994
After capturing Angola's second-largest city, Huambo, last year, the rebels turned their heaviest artillery and thousands of troops against Cuito - 415 miles south-east of the capital, Luanda - in an effort to knock out its strategic airport and army base.
For the rebel leader, Jonas Savimbi, born near the central highlands city which is home to many of his ethnic group, the Ovimbundu, capturing Cuito would be an enormous symbolic as well as strategic victory.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
Autumn Statement 2013: Work until you’re 70 - George Osborne accused of ‘living in fantasy land’ over pension reforms
Nigella Lawson arrives for second day in court after accusing Charles Saatchi of threatening to 'destroy' her with drug claims
Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
- 1 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 2 How black gold was hijacked: North sea oil and the betrayal of Scotland
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Scientists sequence oldest human DNA from fossilised leg bone found in Spain
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert
£90000 - £120000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Global Director of Infrastructur...
£230 - £300 per day: Charter Selection: A leading Further Education College ba...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Java Developer - J...
£65000 - £82000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: My client is seeking an expe...