WTO in Seattle: THE ELEMENTS OF A DEAL
Saturday 04 December 1999
Agriculture: The EU has agreed to further cuts in domestic support and export subsidies; the US and the Cairns Group (farm exporting countries) have agreed that agriculture is a special case. The deal was close to completion last night.
Labour Standards: The US was still struggling with developing countries last night over regulations to link labour rules to trade. The developing world rejects this, and it was hard to see how the two could be reconciled.
Biotechnology: America wanted a new trade panel to rule on how biotechnology products, especially GM foods, could be traded. Europe agreed in turn for concessions on other environmental issues. But it wants to be able to block imports if it fears health or environmental problems. Very much up in the air.
Poor Countries: The EU had been pressing for the removal of all duties on imports from developing nations, and the US and Japan looked ready to sign up for it. But the deal is in trouble over the issue of exemptions.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...