Weekend work: Time to liberate terracotta pots
What to do
* Terracotta pots that have been standing in saucers of water through autumn should now be liberated from them. Raise pots on small, even blocks of wood to improve drainage.
* Plant roses, fruit trees and new hedges.
* In the bloated interval from now until spring, order seeds. Include at least three things you've never grown before. I recommend the medium height Antirrhinum 'Black Prince' (Thompson & Morgan £2.69) and the trailing Nasturtium 'Crimson Emperor' (Thompson & Morgan £1.99) which is Flower of the Year in T&M's catalogue.
* Prune vines when the leaves have all dropped. Cut back all side growths to within one or two dormant buds from the main stem. Peel loose shreds of bark from vines growing under cover. Pruning must be completed before the end of the month, when the sap will start to rise again.
* Keep houseplants dryish and potted bulbs dampish.
What to buy
* For clearing leaves, carting stuff to the compost heap (or the tip) you need a good, strong bag. I like the kind that has a stiff band to thread round the top, so the bag stays wide open while you are chucking stuff into it. Mr Fothergill supplies tough bags with handles: standard size 46cm x 60cm (code 43844, £10.95), or large size 46cm x 80cm (code 43798, £12.95). To order, call 0845 371 0518 or go to atmr-fothergills.co.uk
auctionThe first 23 lots have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
healthJames Bond's alcohol consumption puts him at 'high risk' of cirrhosis, tremors... and impotence
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
tvSpoiler alert: Find out the result of a heated final show
Beatles rush out 'bootleg' album to defy EU copyright law
Harvey Weinstein reveals his secret weapon on-set
Now that an oil trader's drinking has got him sacked, will we all have to make do with an afternoon latte?
Chiwetel Ejiofor and Idris Elba get nods for Best Actor, which no black Brit has ever won
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
peopleWhat advice would David Cameron give to his younger self?
Life & Style blogs
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# ASP.NET Deve...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Automation Tester FX Trading Platform(Ruby, ...
£25000 - £40000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: VB.NET SQL Developer/...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...