Weekend work: Time to prune your roses
What to do
* It’s time to prune your roses. Start by cutting out dead wood, then any spindly stems and suckers. That will be enough for most old-fashioned shrub roses though Hybrid Musks, such as 'Buff Beauty' get leggy and unkempt if left to their own devices. Shorten some of the longest growths by a third and take out any thin, spindly stems which are unlikely to bear flowers.
* Hybrid teas need sterner treatment: follow each stem up from the bottom until you come to a likely looking outward-facing bud and cut the stem off above the bud. That is the tidy way. The quick way is to shear over the top of hybrid tea roses with a hedge clipper.
*Boost tired box hedges with a dressing of some general fertiliser, such as Growmore or Vitax Q4. Use roughly 60g/2oz for every metre of hedge. If box hedges have got hideously leggy, try cutting them back hard, leaving no more than 10-13cm/ 4-5in of stem. Feed when they show signs of resprouting. They may not. Box is not so forgiving as yew.
What to buy
* Peter Blest’s new list of secondhand books on botany and rural life is full of treasures. I limited myself to two titles, but it was hard. You can get Christopher Grey-Wilson’s monograph on cyclamen for £15 (£30 when new), a 1903 edition of Gertrude Jekyll’s book on lilies (£24), Remarks on the Mangel Wurzel (I was very tempted by this one) written in 1828 by a Mr Newby and yours for £15.
Catalogues are available from Mr Blest by writing to: Little Canon Cottage, Wateringbury, Maidstone, Kent ME 18 5PJ. Alternatively, you can request a catalogue by phone on 01622 812940 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Life & Style blogs
In defence of liberal democracy
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
- 2 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 3 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 4 Ryan Gosling posts tribute to 'Ryan Gosling Won't Eat His Cereal' creator Ryan McHenry
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...