Weekend work: Time to prune your roses
What to do
* It’s time to prune your roses. Start by cutting out dead wood, then any spindly stems and suckers. That will be enough for most old-fashioned shrub roses though Hybrid Musks, such as 'Buff Beauty' get leggy and unkempt if left to their own devices. Shorten some of the longest growths by a third and take out any thin, spindly stems which are unlikely to bear flowers.
* Hybrid teas need sterner treatment: follow each stem up from the bottom until you come to a likely looking outward-facing bud and cut the stem off above the bud. That is the tidy way. The quick way is to shear over the top of hybrid tea roses with a hedge clipper.
*Boost tired box hedges with a dressing of some general fertiliser, such as Growmore or Vitax Q4. Use roughly 60g/2oz for every metre of hedge. If box hedges have got hideously leggy, try cutting them back hard, leaving no more than 10-13cm/ 4-5in of stem. Feed when they show signs of resprouting. They may not. Box is not so forgiving as yew.
What to buy
* Peter Blest’s new list of secondhand books on botany and rural life is full of treasures. I limited myself to two titles, but it was hard. You can get Christopher Grey-Wilson’s monograph on cyclamen for £15 (£30 when new), a 1903 edition of Gertrude Jekyll’s book on lilies (£24), Remarks on the Mangel Wurzel (I was very tempted by this one) written in 1828 by a Mr Newby and yours for £15.
Catalogues are available from Mr Blest by writing to: Little Canon Cottage, Wateringbury, Maidstone, Kent ME 18 5PJ. Alternatively, you can request a catalogue by phone on 01622 812940 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Life & Style blogs
Apple's Tim Cook: Business isn’t just about making profit
Thousands of young people forced to go without food after benefits wrongly stopped under 'draconian' new sanctions regime
Ukraine crisis: New navy chief 'defects' and surrenders Crimean HQ as Putin claims ultranationalists forced intervention
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Ukraine crisis: Russia dismisses '3am ultimatum' as 'total nonsense'
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
- 3 Sir Patrick Stewart patches into David Cameron and Barack Obama's Ukraine talks with packet of wet wipes
- 4 Study suggests that 'gaydars' are real - at least for women
- 5 Man stabbed with Legend of Zelda Master Sword in serious condition
£50000 - £330000 per annum + Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: Resident...
£1000 per month: Inspiring Interns: Our client is a start-up mobile app develo...
£6.31 per hour: Inspiring Interns: This growing predictive analytical software...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Randstad Education is the largest ed...