Weekend work: Time to prune your roses
What to do
* It’s time to prune your roses. Start by cutting out dead wood, then any spindly stems and suckers. That will be enough for most old-fashioned shrub roses though Hybrid Musks, such as 'Buff Beauty' get leggy and unkempt if left to their own devices. Shorten some of the longest growths by a third and take out any thin, spindly stems which are unlikely to bear flowers.
* Hybrid teas need sterner treatment: follow each stem up from the bottom until you come to a likely looking outward-facing bud and cut the stem off above the bud. That is the tidy way. The quick way is to shear over the top of hybrid tea roses with a hedge clipper.
*Boost tired box hedges with a dressing of some general fertiliser, such as Growmore or Vitax Q4. Use roughly 60g/2oz for every metre of hedge. If box hedges have got hideously leggy, try cutting them back hard, leaving no more than 10-13cm/ 4-5in of stem. Feed when they show signs of resprouting. They may not. Box is not so forgiving as yew.
What to buy
* Peter Blest’s new list of secondhand books on botany and rural life is full of treasures. I limited myself to two titles, but it was hard. You can get Christopher Grey-Wilson’s monograph on cyclamen for £15 (£30 when new), a 1903 edition of Gertrude Jekyll’s book on lilies (£24), Remarks on the Mangel Wurzel (I was very tempted by this one) written in 1828 by a Mr Newby and yours for £15.
Catalogues are available from Mr Blest by writing to: Little Canon Cottage, Wateringbury, Maidstone, Kent ME 18 5PJ. Alternatively, you can request a catalogue by phone on 01622 812940 or by email, firstname.lastname@example.org
Life & Style blogs
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
£30k - 38k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: An award-winning consume...
£40k - 45k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...
£30k - 35k per year + Benefits: Opilio Recruitment: We’re currently re...
£35k - 45k per year + benefits: Opilio Recruitment: A fantastic opportunity ...