Weekend work: Time to spray apple and pear trees
WHAT TO DO
* The kitchen windowsill is satisfyingly full of pots of germinated seeds. Cobaea, statice, rudbeckia, verbena, stocks are all through. Next to be sown will be basil and tomatoes – 'Sungold', a wonderfully sweet cherry tomato (Thompson & Morgan, £2.99 for 10 seeds) and 'Pannovy' (Simpson's Seeds, £2.10 for 6 seeds).
* Perfectionists might like to spray apple and pear trees against scab, if there are no more pressing tasks to hand. Scab is a blemish rather than a threat. Trees will not die because of it.
WHAT TO SEE
* Derry Watkins's Special Tuesdays start next month, with a series of talks in her garden, either at 11am or repeated at 2.30pm. The subject on 15 April is Spring Pruning; the week after (22 April) Derry will be talking about sowing annuals.
Talks are free with entry to the garden (£4.50) at Special Plants, Greenways Lane, Cold Ashton, Chippenham, Wilts SN14 8LA. Be prepared to spend money at the nursery. It's irresistible. For more information call 01225 891686 or go to the website at specialplants.net
Life & Style blogs
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 Rihanna 'nude pictures' claims emerge on 4Chan as hacking scandal continues
- 2 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 4 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 5 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
£18000 - £25000 Per Annum + bonus and benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Lt...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Sauce Recruitment: This is your chance to join a gl...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Group: Experienced Primary Teachers We are curr...
competitive + bonus + benefits: Sauce Recruitment: My client is looking for an...