Weekend work: Time to spray apple and pear trees
WHAT TO DO
* The kitchen windowsill is satisfyingly full of pots of germinated seeds. Cobaea, statice, rudbeckia, verbena, stocks are all through. Next to be sown will be basil and tomatoes – 'Sungold', a wonderfully sweet cherry tomato (Thompson & Morgan, £2.99 for 10 seeds) and 'Pannovy' (Simpson's Seeds, £2.10 for 6 seeds).
* Perfectionists might like to spray apple and pear trees against scab, if there are no more pressing tasks to hand. Scab is a blemish rather than a threat. Trees will not die because of it.
WHAT TO SEE
* Derry Watkins's Special Tuesdays start next month, with a series of talks in her garden, either at 11am or repeated at 2.30pm. The subject on 15 April is Spring Pruning; the week after (22 April) Derry will be talking about sowing annuals.
Talks are free with entry to the garden (£4.50) at Special Plants, Greenways Lane, Cold Ashton, Chippenham, Wilts SN14 8LA. Be prepared to spend money at the nursery. It's irresistible. For more information call 01225 891686 or go to the website at specialplants.net
Life & Style blogs
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Hard line on immigration could cost Tories the election
- 1 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 2 Venezuela Expo Tattoo 2015: Extreme body art from 'Vampire Woman' to 109mm earlobes
- 4 Ball pool for adults opens in London
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...