Weekend work: Time to trim hornbeam hedges
Saturday 13 July 2013
What to do
* Trim hedges of Carpinus betulus (hornbeam) this month, treating new hedges gently, cutting harder into established ones. Hedges and screens of Crataegus monogyna (hawthorn) can be dealt with in the same way. If specimen trees of either kind need reducing in size, leave the work until winter when they are dormant.
* Griselinia, a New Zealand native with tough leathery evergreen leaves, is sometimes used to provide shelter in seaside gardens. It is not reliably hardy, though wonderfully resistant to salt and wind. Where it is used to make a hedge it will need clipping, which should be done now. Shrubs planted as specimens need no regular pruning.
* Deutzia, which flowers in June and early July with clusters of small, star-shaped flowers, can be pruned immediately after flowering. The best way is to take out some of the old flowered stems entirely, cutting them down at the base of the plant. This will encourage the production of strong new shoots from the base. It also keeps the shrub within reasonable bounds.
What to see
* IncrEdibles, a summer-long festival at Kew gardens, celebrates some of the world's 12,000 food plants. For a full list of associated events and activities call 020 8332 5655 or go to kew.org. Meanwhile at Birmingham University there's a GIY (Grow It Yourself) gathering next Saturday with a special focus on community gardening. Tickets cost £25. For more details, go to giyinternational.org
Life & Style blogs
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
- 1 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response from Ellen DeGeneres
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Greek debt crisis: Yanis Varoufakis's funniest (and most memorable) quotes
- 4 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
£35,000 - £40,000 based on experience : Metail Ltd: As a Business Development ...
£30 - 40k (DOE) + Bonus & Benefits: Guru Careers: A Product Manager / Product ...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...