Weekend work: Time to trim hornbeam hedges
Saturday 13 July 2013
What to do
* Trim hedges of Carpinus betulus (hornbeam) this month, treating new hedges gently, cutting harder into established ones. Hedges and screens of Crataegus monogyna (hawthorn) can be dealt with in the same way. If specimen trees of either kind need reducing in size, leave the work until winter when they are dormant.
* Griselinia, a New Zealand native with tough leathery evergreen leaves, is sometimes used to provide shelter in seaside gardens. It is not reliably hardy, though wonderfully resistant to salt and wind. Where it is used to make a hedge it will need clipping, which should be done now. Shrubs planted as specimens need no regular pruning.
* Deutzia, which flowers in June and early July with clusters of small, star-shaped flowers, can be pruned immediately after flowering. The best way is to take out some of the old flowered stems entirely, cutting them down at the base of the plant. This will encourage the production of strong new shoots from the base. It also keeps the shrub within reasonable bounds.
What to see
* IncrEdibles, a summer-long festival at Kew gardens, celebrates some of the world's 12,000 food plants. For a full list of associated events and activities call 020 8332 5655 or go to kew.org. Meanwhile at Birmingham University there's a GIY (Grow It Yourself) gathering next Saturday with a special focus on community gardening. Tickets cost £25. For more details, go to giyinternational.org
Life & Style blogs
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...