Soaring rents at 11-year high
Monday 23 September 2013
Rents are at the highest level for more than a decade as house prices stretch beyond the means of would-be buyers, according to new research.
The findings from nationwide estate agency and lettings group Sequence show average rents hitting an 11-year high of £779 – a 4 per cent rise during August alone and an 11 per cent year on year increase.
The price hikes have been exacerbated by a shortage of supply and, in London, the problem is even more acute with rents up nearly double the national average to £1,465 and the average length of tenancy increased from 12 to 18 months as renters are priced out of the sales market, the report said. Head of lettings Stephen Nation warned: “If supply continues to be outstripped by demand, we will see further significant rent rises.”
The pressure on the rental market has also triggered a fresh surge in buy-to-let investing. The latest Council of Mortgage Lenders figures showed 15,200 buy-to-let loans worth £2bn advanced in July – up 11 per cent in a single month.
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 4 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
- 5 A new (old) cure for MRSA? Revolting recipe from the Dark Ages may be key to defeat infection
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£35000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing digital agenc...
£50000 - £100000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a newly-created partne...