Surprise rise in property prices in October
Tuesday 08 November 2011
House prices rose by 1.2 per cent last month, according to the mortgage lender Halifax. The performance means the average property price of £163,311 is marginally higher than at the end of last year.
Halifax's housing economist Martin Ellis said the prospect of low Bank of England interest rates was supporting the property market.
The latest survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, published today, also recorded a rise in activity in October, although prices dipped.
However, Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight, said the surprise jump in Halifax's index did "little to change our view that house prices are headed down ... and are likely to fall by 5 per cent by mid-2012".
Life & Style blogs
David Cameron: 'Jesus invented the Big Society – I'm just continuing God's work'
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for auction...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave
- 3 Naked yoga: the bare truth - it's already big in the US, and has now landed here
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Drugs giant GlaxoSmithKline bribed doctors to boost sales, says whistleblower
£26K-30k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£25K-28k + Bonus, Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension: Charter Selectio...
£50000 - £65000 Per Annum potentially flexible for the right candidate: Clearw...
£38000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Do you have experience of ...