Surprise rise in property prices in October
Tuesday 08 November 2011
House prices rose by 1.2 per cent last month, according to the mortgage lender Halifax. The performance means the average property price of £163,311 is marginally higher than at the end of last year.
Halifax's housing economist Martin Ellis said the prospect of low Bank of England interest rates was supporting the property market.
The latest survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, published today, also recorded a rise in activity in October, although prices dipped.
However, Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight, said the surprise jump in Halifax's index did "little to change our view that house prices are headed down ... and are likely to fall by 5 per cent by mid-2012".
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
- 2 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Witch doctor arrested after forcing newborn baby to walk in Indian village
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...