Surprise rise in property prices in October
Tuesday 08 November 2011
House prices rose by 1.2 per cent last month, according to the mortgage lender Halifax. The performance means the average property price of £163,311 is marginally higher than at the end of last year.
Halifax's housing economist Martin Ellis said the prospect of low Bank of England interest rates was supporting the property market.
The latest survey by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, published today, also recorded a rise in activity in October, although prices dipped.
However, Howard Archer, chief UK economist at IHS Global Insight, said the surprise jump in Halifax's index did "little to change our view that house prices are headed down ... and are likely to fall by 5 per cent by mid-2012".
Life & Style blogs
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
- 1 iOS 8 apps and features: eight iPhone settings you need to look at after you install the update
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair
£120 - £162 per day + UPS: Randstad Education Hull: Science Teacher required f...
£23500 - £40000 per annum: Randstad Education Plymouth: ***KS1 & KS2 Teachers ...
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...