Bruno is encouraged by confirmation of Tyson date

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Boxing

Frank Bruno's World Council heavyweight title fight against Mike Tyson was yesterday confirmed for 16 March at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Tyson is recovering from a cracked thumb, which brought about the postponement of his fight with Buster Mathis Jnr on 4 November, although he should be ready to face Mathis in early January for his second fight since being released from prison.

Bruno, who begins training for the fight today, said: "This is very encouraging because I think I am at my peak. I'm a stone and a half heavier than I was for my first fight against Tyson, I'm very strong, very confident. It was music to my ears when I heard I was fighting Tyson. I'm not just fighting any Tom, Dick or Harry, I'm fighting the No 1."

The death of James Murray has not stopped Glasgow Council sponsoring Saturday's World Organisation light- flyweight title fight between Paul Weir and Baby Jake Matlala at the Kelvin Hall. The fatal injuries suffered by Murray and the riot that erupted after his fight with Drew Docherty last month cast a cloud over the sport.

"In view of recent happenings, it is important that Glasgow is portrayed as a major fight venue again. I'm confident that everything will go well," Tommy Gilmour, the promoter, said. "We have made no extra precautions because there will be no alcohol on sale, which has been our policy for a number of years."

Comments