Cricket: Bookmakers and batsmen: How the numbers add up in cricket
Thursday 10 December 1998
Barkes says that, due to the time difference between England and Australia, they have a particularly popular market betting on how many runs will be scored in the first session, which will be over by 2am GMT, enabling nocturnal punters to be able to get off to bed at a relatively sane time, knowing whether they have won or not.
Novelty bets are also big business. City Index, for example, come out of the shade to offer a sartorial spread on the number of catches by fielders sporting sunglasses.
Tim Pickering of the Tote said most cricket betting business is on outright results. The Tote bet 5-6 Australia, 6-5 the draw and 15-2 England on the third Test, and Pickering reckoned 90 per cent of cricket bets will be on this market. Pickering said: "The other 10 per cent will be on the markets we form on who will be the top batsman in the first innings for each side. Forming two markets, rather than betting on who will be top batsman overall enables punters to do doubles."
Bookies also bet on who will win the series outright. Pickering said: "The market for that has dried up now, though. Australia were 1-3 to win before the series began. They're 1-20 now."
Ladbrokes bet on who will be the top batman overall in the third Test. Alec Stewart is 4-1 favourite to score most runs for England, with Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain at 9-2, while they make Mark Taylor "Burlington Bertie" (100-30) to be the leading Australian batsman, with Steve Waugh 7-2, and Mark Waugh 4-1.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We have an excellent role for a...