Cricket Round-Up: Cork adds fizz with five

Click to follow
The Independent Online
DOMINIC CORK, aiming for a winter abroad with England, popped up with a 5 for 10 return yesterday as Nottinghamshire collapsed in dramatic fashion from 107 without loss to 166 all out at Trent Bridge.

Seven days after making his international debut in the final six-wicket Texaco Trophy triumph over Pakistan at Old Trafford, the 21-year-old Derbyshire fast bowler picked up his wickets in the space of 63 balls. Backed up by Ian Bishop, who finished with 3 for 24, Cork rounded off his fine performance by removing David Pennett and Andy Afford with successive deliveries.

Earlier, Nottinghamshire, lying fifth in the table and four points ahead of Derbyshire before the start of this four-day round of matches, had appeared in little trouble as Mark Saxelby and Paul Pollard reached a century stand.

Saxelby, though, was run out in a mix-up with his companion after making 57 and from then on the innings subsided. Derbyshire, meanwhile, could not afford to be too complacent once Pennett had struck by whistling out Peter Bowler and then John Morris with his next ball.

A first three-figure contribution of the season from Graham Thorpe helped Surrey to 397 for 4 against Somerset at The Oval. Having put together 13 Championship half-centuries, Thorpe was unbeaten on 151 at the close.

He reached his hundred after nearly four hours, by which time he had dispatched seven fours. Thorpe's captain, Alec Stewart, was also in form and looked set for a century himself until playing-on to Andre van Troost when 76, the third-wicket partnership then worth 146.

Hugh Morris followed a familiar route when passing 1,500 first-class runs for the third successive season as Glamorgan managed 170 for 5 off 67.4 overs during a rain-hit opening to the match with Sussex in Cardiff. Morris featured in an opening partnership of 91 in 33 overs with Stephen James (32) and had scored 80 off 154 balls when he was bowled by Bradleigh Donelan. The off-spinner then dismissed Adrian Dale before Ian Salisbury's leg spin accounted for Matthew Maynard and David Hemp in the same over.

Graeame Hick rested on 45 at New Road, where the weather allowed only 35 overs in the day. Initially, Worcestershire were in trouble as Warwickshire reduced them to three down for 43 before the England man brought a steadying influence.

If the weather was bad at Worcester, it was hopeless at Bristol. Not a ball was bowled in anger in the game against Leicestershire, though one in the nets from Martin Gerrard left Tony Wright with a broken bone in his left hand. The Gloucestershire captain returned from hospital in plaster and will not play again this season, Bill Athey taking over for the current match and the one to come up against Essex.