England’s enduring nemesis has warned what is to come before they can expect to reclaim the Ashes. From the way Mitchell Johnson spoke, he still has every intention of leaving a lasting mark on the 2015 series.
Johnson bowled the two most venomous balls in the campaign so far in Australia’s three-day defeat at Edgbaston which gave England a 2-1 lead. Had he followed them up there and then on that crucial second morning, England’s first-innings lead might have been negligible. It is an error he is unlikely to repeat during the fourth Test, which starts on Thursday at Trent Bridge.
“I don’t know,” the Australian fast bowler said. “I guess I was just trying to really dry up the runs and I probably just lost that bit of aggression. I don’t read into it too much. It’s something I need to have a look at throughout this Test match and just keep that aggression. That’s how I’ve been bowling and it’s been working.”
Johnson, who took 37 wickets at 13.97 runs each in the 2013-14 Ashes, has 10 wickets at 33.6 in the present series.
Johnson said of Australia’s form: “I think that’s what we have done really well, we’ve been able to move on from losses like that. Hopefully, we can come out here and win this Test match, because if we don’t we are in big trouble.”Reuse content