Champions Trophy: Denesh Ramdin will not appeal ban for falsely claiming a catch at the Kia Oval
Ramdin celebrated taking the wicket of Misbah ul-Haq at the Kia Oval despite the ball being grounded
Tuesday 11 June 2013
Denesh Ramdin will not appeal his two-match ban for falsely claiming a catch during the West Indies' two-wicket victory over Pakistan last week, the West Indies Cricket Board has announced.
Ramdin celebrated taking the wicket of Misbah ul-Haq at the Kia Oval last Friday after appearing to catch the ball after it flew off the Pakistan captain's inside edge.
Replays showed Ramdin had grounded the catch and then scooped it up again, causing the batsman to be reinstated.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) took a dim view of Ramdin's actions, banning him for two games and fining him his match fee after finding him guilty of "conduct that is contrary to the spirit of the game" in the Champions Trophy Group B match.
The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) revealed last night that Ramdin would not be contesting the punishment.
The WICB tweeted: "Wicket-keeper Denesh Ramdin has decided not to appeal his suspension and fine. He will therefore miss the matches vs India and South Africa."
Chris Broad, of the ICC's elite panel of match referees, adjudicated on the matter.
Broad said: "This is regarded as a serious offence as it is the responsibility of all players to act in the spirit of the game.
"I hope Mr Ramdin has learnt his lesson from this incident and that we will not see such behaviour by him or any player in the future."
Ramdin will be available for the Champions Trophy semi-finals should the Windies progress from Group B.
They play their second group stage game today at the Kia Oval against India.
Chelsea in Thailand: Eden Hazard offered 'free hug' as Jose Mourinho meets a familiar face
Heysel disaster 30th anniversary: Liverpool have seen too much tragedy to forget that fateful day in Belgium
Paul Scholes column: With Premier League over for another year, here are my end of season awards
Fifa bomb threat: Swiss authorities confirm a bomb threat has been made at the Fifa Congress
Michel Platini to consider pulling England and other Uefa members out of the World Cup if Sepp Blatter wins Fifa election
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'