England bow to new world order with IPL agreement
ECB to allow cricketers 21-day window to play in Indian Twenty20 league
Friday 23 January 2009
England finally backed down yesterday by agreeing to allow their players to appear in the Indian Premier League. It was the definitive confirmation that the cash-rich Twenty20 tournament, worth millions of dollars to star players, is not only here to stay but has changed the face of world cricket.
After tortuous three-way negotiations lasting for months it has been agreed that England's centrally contracted players will be permitted to play in the IPL for three weeks this April and in 2010. It means that the marquee names such as Andrew Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen will fly out to India less than a week after spending 73 days in the Caribbean playing three forms of cricket, will take part in a handful of matches for huge reward in the IPL and will return to England with five days to spare before the First Test match against the West Indies at Lord's.
Although this is far from ideal – and will shatter for ever the notion that players should be protected from burnout – there was in the end no choice. The England and Wales Cricket Board realised that it could not go on denying its players the chance to take part in the IPL without serious consequences on several fronts.
"If this works as I think, it will strengthen the central contracts system," said Sean Morris, the chief executive of the Professional Cricketers' Association, who has been involved in the talks throughout. "It has been very hard to reach this point but I think it has rebuffed the risk of players defecting or retiring early. That was a very real threat."
Apart from Pietersen and Flintoff the other Test players likely to attract IPL franchises are Paul Collingwood, Owais Shah and Stuart Broad. It can be taken as read that other players and their agents are working feverishly to get a slice of the action. Last year mind-boggling amounts were bid: Mahendra Singh Dhoni, now India's captain, fetched $1.5m (£1.1m). This year's fees will be determined at a player auction on 6 February.
The agreement, not quite signed off but said to be 99 per cent certain, was all about compromise. There was no way the ECB wanted its most precious assets to go but it was persuaded by two factors. First, the players might simply have gone. Secondly, the ECB is desperate for Indian cricketers to take part in the English Premier League in 2010.
Morris and his ECB namesake, Hugh Morris, the managing director of England cricket, have been in negotiations for months. They had to satisfy Lalit Modi, the commissioner of the IPL. Modi, who was keen for the England players to stay for four weeks, eventually appears to have relented and reduced the participation period to three weeks.
Window of opportunity: England's IPL period
4 April: England return from West Indies tour
10 April: IPL starts
Sat-Sun 2-3 May: England players return to England from IPL
Thur 6 May: First Test v West Indies
Phillip Hughes: #putoutyourbats tribute sees Twitter users pay their respects to Hughes including Graeme Swann and David Warner
Phil Hughes dead: List of players who have tragically died on the cricket pitch
Nani transfer: No future for winger at Sporting Lisbon as club cannot afford his wages when loan deal with Manchester United runs out
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Phillip Hughes death: UK company Masuri say Australian opener was wearing 'outdated helmet'
- 1 Jennifer Lawrence scores first UK top 40 single with Hunger Games track 'The Hanging Tree'
- 2 Shia LaBeouf claims he was raped during #IAMSORRY art installation performance
- 3 'You should come to my house and eat cheeses with me': 4-year-old sends adorable love letter to girl at school
- 4 Scientists predict green energy revolution after incredible new graphene discoveries
- 5 Michael Buerk wishes he killed Jimmy Savile when he had the chance - by pushing him overboard a cruise ship
Obama: The only people with the right to object to immigration are Native Americans
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Ukip mocked after mistaking Westminster Cathedral – for a mosque
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
David Cameron sets out immigration reforms: We should distrust Ukip and their 'snake-oil of simple solutions'