Harmison still wants England chance
Sunday 20 September 2009
Steve Harmison wants to continue playing for England. The Durham pace bowler missed out on a central contract last week but he is still hoping to be picked for the four-Test series of South Africa which begins in December.
Harmison was called up for the last two Ashes Tests but played no part in the current one-day series.
He told Sportsweek: "When the one-day series is out of the way I'll sit down and speak with the selectors.
"I am only going to retire if England don't want me any more. I don't want to play as a bit-part player.
"I fully understand this central contract issue. The simple fact is I've not done enough. I understand why I wasn't given a central contract because I hadn't done my job for England this year.
"But if they want me to go to South Africa I'll gladly go and be a full part of it."
England start their Champions Trophy challenge in South Africa against Sri Lanka on Friday. They then play two Twenty20s and five one-day internationals against South Africa in November before the Test series begins.
Harmison believes his absence would leave a void in England's bowling attack coming so soon after the Test retirement of Andrew Flintoff.
He said: "It would be unfair for me to walk away now. Andrew Flintoff's walked away. You're taking probably about 135 Test matches (it is 142, Flintoff 79, Harmison 63) out of the equation in a short space of time.
"For that experience alone it wouldn't be fair for me just to walk away. But I want to be part of a side playing rather than just carrying the drinks as I have been for the past couple of winters.
"If they want me to go I'll gladly go. If they don't want me to go then I'll retire.
"It's not fair on myself, not fair on the selectors and not fair on everybody else in England to keep coming back to somebody who they pick for one or two Test matches a year. I think they can move on from that."
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Police shoot and kill second young black man near Ferguson
- 2 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 4 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head