Kevin Pietersen: Piers Morgan calls ECB an 'absolute disgrace' as former England captains criticise Andrew Strauss's decision

A number of ex-pros and cricket fans have come out in support of Pietersen after he was reportedly told he has no future with England

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Piers Morgan has led the calls for Kevin Pietersen to be reinstated to the England squad after the exiled batsman was reportedly told by his former team-mate Andrew Strauss that there was no way back into the national side.

Pietersen registered a career high 326 not out on Monday in a County Championship match for Surrey against Leicestershire, and he soon confirmed that he was heading for talks with the ECB’s new director of cricket Strauss and new chief executive Tom Harrison to discuss his future.

However, it emerged late on Monday night that the South African-born batsman would not be returning to the England side despite their drawn series with the West Indies, and has led to a fierce backlash against the ECB on Twitter.

“Kevin Pietersen has been knifed in the back again, by a petty little man who's put personal animosity before England cricket #StraussOUT,” tweeted Morgan in a series of outburst on Tuesday morning.

“How can ECB chairman Colin Graves tell @KP24 [Pietersen] the door is open if he gets county runs, then let Strauss slam it shut again?

“What more does a man have to do than get 326n.o.?? This is an absolute disgrace and I urge every England cricket fan to support @KP24.

 

“I can't remember a more insane situation than this in English sport. How can you tell a guy who's just scored 326* that he won't be picked??

“I've never seen @KP24 bat better than yesterday. Yet Strauss responds by banning him all over again? He's a vindictive moron & this is war.

“ECB say they can't 'trust' KP, but leak story of Strauss banning him again within minutes. They're a bunch of petty, pathetic clowns.”

56-Pietersen-Getty.jpg
Pietersen scored 326 not out on Monday

The news came after the BBC’s cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew took to Twitter to reveal that he had been informed of Strauss’s decision from his meeting with Pietersen.

 

 

Former England captain Michael Vaughan, who guided the famous 2005 Ashes squad that included Pietersen to a thrilling victory over Australia, admitted he was “disappointed” by the news.

 

Another ex-England captain questioned whether Strauss had made the correct decision given Pietersen’s innings yesterday combined with his determination to get back into the squad, as Andrew Flintoff admitted he believes Strauss had made a “bad decision”.

 

pg-72-pietersen-getty.jpg
Pietersen says he will 'do anything' to get back into the England team

Former England bowler Darren Gough believes that the national team will be at their strongest when they select the best players, as he firmly believes Pietersen remains among that group.

Strauss is due to address the media at 11am on Tuesday, where he will undoubtedly face stiff questioning over the saga that has developed since Pietersen was dropped after the 5-0 Ashes demolition in the 2013/14 series Down Under.

Comments