Shane Warne confirms return to cricket for Big Bash League
Tuesday 08 November 2011
Shane Warne's return from retirement has
been confirmed after the Melbourne Stars announced the legendary leg-spinner
will play for them in the inaugural Big Bash League.
Warne was presented at a packed press conference at the MCG after signing a one-year deal that will see him return to competitive action in his homeland for the first time in five years.
The 42-year-old had announced his retirement from all professional cricket only six months ago following the completion of the Indian Premier League.
However, he has been coaxed back out of his short exile by his newly-formed hometown club for the revamped Australian Twenty20 competition.
The controversial spinner is set to be a major draw for the competition, which begins next month with eight city-based franchises competing instead of the traditional state set-up.
His last appearance on home soil saw Warne claim his 1,000th international wicket as Australia completed a 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Sydney.
Warne, who will play for the entire competition rather than a make a cameo appearance, admitted he was itching to return in front of his adoring fans at the MCG.
"I'm fitter than I have ever been. I had a few offers but the MCG has been my backyard for 20 years," he told foxsports.com.au.
"There were a few offers about playing a game here or there. And I thought if I'm going to do this, let's do it properly.
"I thought it was an opportunity where I could actually give something back to the game of cricket that has been so good to me.
"I'm fitter than I've ever been and over the next sort of month or so I'm going to really get into the bowling and doing all those sorts of things with the Melbourne Stars.
"It's got nothing to do with money. If it had something to do with money and me coming out to play cricket, I'd still be playing in the IPL.
"This is something that I'm passionate about. It's something new ... and that's what enticed me."
Asked if he might play more than one year, Warne replied: "I'm 42. Let's see how it goes.
"I'm looking forward to having fun but I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't think I could make an impact."
Warne's return had been anticipated after he revealed in September that he would like to play for one of the two Melbourne-based teams.
The Big Bash League runs from December 16 until January 28 with each side able to field two overseas players.
England all-rounder Luke Wright will join Warne at the Stars while former one-day captain Paul Collingwood (Perth Scorchers), Owais Shah (Hobart Hurricanes) and Michael Lumb (Sydney Sixers) have also been signed.
Louis van Gaal says he is inheriting a 'broken' Manchester United squad
Luckless Abou Diaby full of confidence as he attempts yet another Arsenal comeback
Calum Chambers joins Arsenal: Gunners complete £16m transfer of right-back
Manchester United latest: Angel Di Maria move no closer as Juan Mata emerges as Louis van Gaal's favoured No 10 as prospect of signing
Manchester United transfer news: Arturo Vidal bid of £48m imminent - reports
- 1 Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
- 2 Christians: The world's most persecuted people
- 3 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
A day in the life of Vladimir Putin: The dictator in his labyrinth
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
A new Russian revolution: The cracks are starting to appear in Putin’s Kremlin power bloc
Were 'Poor Doors' added to mixed developments so wealthy residents don't have to go in alongside social housing tenants?
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US