Sri Lanka skittle Taibu's youngsters for 35
Zimbabwe 35 Sri Lanka 40 for 1 Sri Lanka win by nine wkts
Monday 26 April 2004
Zimbabwe's inexperience was ruthlessly exposed by Sri Lanka as the tourists dismissed Tatenda Taibu's young side for the lowest one-day international score here yesterday.
The hosts, who have been forced to field a weakened side in the series due to a dispute between a number of senior players and the Zimbabwe Cricket Union, were bowled out for just 35 in 87 minutes.
It allowed Sri Lanka to cruise to a nine-wicket win which gives them an unassailable 3-0 lead in the series. Zimbabwe's total was one lower than that scored by Canada in the 2003 World Cup against Sri Lanka in Paarl.
Having started the rout with a run out, Sri Lanka used just three bowlers in taking the remaining nine wickets with Chaminda Vaas claiming 4 for 11, debutant Farveez Maharoof taking 3 for 3 and Dilhara Fernando 2 for 18.
In response, Saman Jayantha led the charge for the tourists, cracking 28 not out off 26 balls. He hit four fours and ended the match with a flourish by pulling a delivery from Tinashe Panyangara over square leg for six.
Zimbabwe's only success with the ball was the wicket of Russel Arnold - caught by keeper Taibu off the bowling of Douglas Hondo for six. Mahela Jayawardene was with Jayantha at the close on three not out.
* The Sri Lanka selectors have dropped the former captain Hashan Tillakaratne for the upcoming two-match Test series against Zimbabwe. Tillakaratne stepped down as captain after Sri Lanka suffered their first ever 3-0 home series defeat against Australia last month. Elswehere, there were call-ups for middle order batsman Thilan Samaraweera, the uncapped opener Ian Daniel and the wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene into the 19-man squad. The three Test specialists leave for Zimbabwe today to arrive in time for Sri Lanka's three-day practice match against Zimbabwe A on 1 May, the only warm-up before the first Test in Harare starting on 6 May.
Sri Lanka won toss
S Matsikenyeri run out 4
B R M Taylor c Dilshan b Vaas 4
D D Ebrahim c Sangakkara b C R D Fernand 7
T Taibu lbw b C R D Fernando 0
E Chigumbura b Vaas 0
A Maregwede b Vaas 2
V Sibanda c Dilshan b Maharoof 4
M L Nkala not out 3
P Utseya lbw b Vaas 0
D T Hondo c Sangakkara b Maharoof 4
T Panyangara c Sangakkara b Maharoof 0
Extras (lb3 w4) 7
Total (18 overs) 35
Fall: 1-5, 2-18, 3-18, 4-18, 5-19, 6-27, 7-27, 8-28, 9-35.
Bowling: Vaas 9-4-11-4; C R D Fernando 6-2-18-2; Maharoof 3-1-3-3.
SRI LANKA INNINGS
S Jayantha not out 28
R P Arnold c Taibu b Hondo 6
D P M Jayawardene not out 3
Extras (w3) 3
Total (for 1, 9.2 overs) 40
Did not bat: S T Jayasuriya, M S Atapattu, K C Sangakkara, T M Dilshan, W P U J C Vaas, M F Maharoof, C R D Fernando, H M R K B Herath.
Bowling: Hondo 5-0-11-1; Panyangara 4.2-0-29-0.
Umpires: D J Harper and I D Robinson
Man of the match: W P U J C Vaas (Sri Lanka).
LOWEST ONE-DAY INTERNATIONAL TOTALS
Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka (18 overs) 35 Harare 2004
Canada v Sri Lanka (18.4 overs) 36 Paarl 2002/03
Zimbabwe v Sri Lanka (15.4 overs) 38 Colombo 2001/02
Pakistan v West Indies (19.5 overs) 43 Cape Town 1992/93
Canada v England (40.3 overs) 45 Manchester 1979
Namibia v Australia (14 overs) 45 Potchefstroom 2002/03
WWE Raw results: Brock Lesnar suspended for post-Wrestlemania 31 rampage after losing title to Seth Rollins
Raheem Sterling interview: No amount of money can convince Sterling to stay at Liverpool
Paul Scholes column: Ross Barkley played well against Italy but he must build on that. His time to step up and seize that England shirt is now
The 10 potential biggest transfers of the summer: Raheem Sterling, Theo Walcott and Radamel Falcao in the mix
Liverpool injury news: Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren expected to be ready for Arsenal clash
- 2 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 3 Gamers confess the worst things they've done in The Sims
- 4 6-year-old writes ice cold Valentine's card to his stepmother
- 5 Syrian child photographed 'surrendering to camera because she thought it was a gun'
Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Katie Hopkins reported to the police for race hatred by Labour MP Simon Danczuk after tweet about Pakistani men