Tendulkar hints at playing until 2015
Monday 26 March 2012
Sachin Tendulkar has denied he is considering retirement after ending his year-long wait for a 100th international century earlier this month.
Tendulkar, 39, had been marooned on 99 centuries since last year's World Cup with a number of former India greats, including Kapil Dev, calling for the right-hander to step aside for a younger generation.
Tendulkar, Test and one-day cricket's leading runscorer, is not ready to do that just yet, though, and even left the door open to play on until the 2015 World Cup.
"Those advising me about retirement did not bring me into the team," Tendulkar said. "I will decide when to retire. I feel those who say you should retire at the top are selfish because when you are at the top, you should serve the country instead of retiring."
Asked whether he might remain until the next World Cup, he said: "I will keep trying, the rest is in god's hands."
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools