Football: Curbishley staying at Charlton

Click to follow
The Independent Online
Charlton have warned West Bromwich Albion not to poach their manager Alan Curbishley as they seek to replace Ray Harford.

Albion have been linked with Curbishley following Harford's departure for Queen's Park Rangers last week, but a statement from Charlton yesterday made it clear that Curbishley will not be leaving.

"Charlton would like to make it clear that Alan, who recently signed a new extended contract, is staying at The Valley," the statement ran. "Whilst the club is flattered that Alan is being coveted by other clubs, he feels positive about the future of Charlton and wishes to see through to its fruition the job he has already started."

Liverpool moved swiftly yesterday to denounce reports linking Liverpool's Robbie Fowler with a move to Arsenal. A Liverpool spokesman said: "This really is fantasy football. Robbie is not for sale and is not going to be allowed to leave this club. He is Liverpool through and through."

Liverpool were concerned about a second bout of rumours surrounding Fowler in the past few weeks. Fowler is on a five-year contract that still has four years to run, and when the 22-year-old signed his new deal it was made clear that Liverpool were prepared to lengthen that offer by another three years.

The Derby defender Christian Dailly could be out of action for 10 to 12 weeks after fracturing his jaw during the draw at Bolton on Sunday. The Scotland international was injured in a clash with Bolton's Amar Gunnlaugsson. An x-ray later revealed the former Dundee United man had fractured his jaw. He will undergo an operation before having his jaw wired and bolted at Bolton Royal Infirmary.

Everton's new signing Mitch Ward is doubtful for Saturday's trip to Leicester after taking two heavy blows on his right ankle during his side's goalless draw with Wimbledon at the weekend.

Southampton have pulled out of a bid to sign the former England full- back Tony Dorigo from Italian club Torino. The Southampton manager Dave Jones has blamed the Bosman ruling for his failure to bring the 31-year- old former Leeds and Chelsea player back to England.

"We were interested but we would have owed Leeds money and it all fell through without us even speaking to the player," Jones said.

Middlesbrough's 18-year-old winger Anthony Ormerod has signed a new four- and-a-half year contract, committing him to the First Division leaders until the summer of 2002. Ormerod's England Under-18 team-mate Andrew Campbell, also 18, has agreed to sign a similar deal.

The Internazionale striker Maurizio Ganz will move from the Italian league leaders to Milan the two clubs agreed yesterday. Ganz, 29, will bolster a Milan attack that has floundered much of the season and is now without the Liberian star George Weah, who will be out for a month with a back injury.

In exchange, Milan agreed to give up its rights to acquire winger Francesco Moriero from Inter at the end of the the season. In 136 Serie A matches with Inter, Atalanta and Sampdoria, Ganz has scored 49 goals. But he has just two league goals this season, and has not played for a month.

Comments