Football: Jackie Blanchflower dies at the age of 65
Thursday 03 September 1998
The Belfast-born centre-half, younger brother of the Tottenham Double- winning captain, Danny, won 12 Northern Ireland caps. He made his international debut in 1954, but his career was cut short by the 1958 disaster, when United's plane crashed on take-off. He retired a year later and became an accountant.
His fellow Busby Babe, Bill Foulkes, who last saw Blanchflower at the Munich memorial match at Old Trafford two weeks ago, said: "Jackie was a brilliant footballer, capable of filling in for Duncan Edwards in midfield and Tommy Taylor in attack. His rib cage was badly damaged at Munich and he never played again.
"Jackie was a fun-loving character, a little bit more outgoing than his brother Danny," he added. "He was a first-class man and footballer. He will be sadly missed."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...