Football: Wright the wrong man for Palace

Click to follow
Crystal Palace fans used to celebrate Ian Wright goals, but there was no cheering from the home crowd when that name appeared on the scoresheet at Selhurst Park last night. Hull City's Ian Wright scored a vital goal for the Third Division side which earned them a famous victory over their Premiership opponents in the second round of the Coca-Cola Cup.

Hull, managed by Mark Hateley, were leading 1-0 from the first leg when Wright scored after 30 minutes to double their advantage. Second-half goals by Carl Veart and George Ndah helped Palace take the tie into extra time, but they were unable to score again and Hull went through on the away goals rule.

Hateley, struggling to explain Hull's lowly league position, said: "We have played like that five or six times this season and lost because we have been expected to win. Most of the team are only young lads. I keep telling them to relax and enjoy themselves. At the same time I am trying to get better players in, but it takes time.

"In the dressing room afterwards I told them if we perform like that we will start to climb away from the foot of the table. But we are too inconsistent and that is what I find unacceptable."

Steve Coppell, the Palace manager, said: "Given the gulf between the teams - they have won only once and lost seven games this season - it's a very disappointing result.''

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink turned from hero to villain as Leeds clung on for a 4-3 aggregate triumph at Bristol City, despite losing 2-1 on the night. The Dutch striker gave Leeds a comfortable 4-1 aggregate advantage when he opened the scoring after eight minutes, but he was was sent off on the half hour mark following an off-the-ball incident with Brian Tinnion. City bounced back with goals from Greg Goodridge and Shaun Taylor to keep the pressure on the visitors.

Goals by David Ginola - from the penalty spot - and Chris Armstrong either side of half-time at Carlisle saw Tottenham through. Spurs went into the return leg at Brunton Park with a 3-2 advantage and were never in danger of an upset at the hands of the Cumbrians, who may now find themselves in disciplinary trouble.

The referee, Jeff Winter, was struck by a small object, possibly a coin, when walking off the pitch at half-time two minutes after Ginola's penalty, awarded for a foul by Andy Couzens on Armstrong.

Bolton Wanderers and Leyton Orient drew 4-4 at the Reebok Stadium to give the Premiership side a 7-5 aggregate victory. Nathan Blake signed off for a three-match suspension with two well-taken goals to save Bolton from embarrassment.