Barca remain keen on Villa
Monday 20 July 2009
Barcelona president Joan Laporta believes that his club still have a chance of signing Spain international striker David Villa from Valencia this summer.
The 27-year-old had seemed set to leave Los Che earlier this summer, only for Valencia to decide that Villa was not for sale.
However, Laporta said: "The signing of David Villa has not been ruled out. We have not ruled out any of the possibilities open to us.
"Our technical secretary remains in contact with him because he understands the anxiety of a player for whom, if the clubs had reached an agreement, things would have gone in a different direction."
"We do have a tentative deal for (Internazionale's) Zlatan Ibrahimovic, but it would be early to say which of the two is best - Ibra or David Villa. In the end we will consider the best option for Barca."
However, Valencia coach Unai Emery has no doubts that Villa will still be with his club next season.
“I have not spoken with Villa, but I have kept in constant contact with the club and they have always told me the same thing - that he will remain with us," he told AS. “It’s true that a few months ago his exit was a possibility, but the club have stopped all negotiations and they informed me that he will be at the club.
“So, for me, there is no debate. Villa is ours and that’s that. There was never a moment where I heard that he wanted to leave.
“In any case, when he returns, he will be as motivated and competitive as usual, he will fight and he will be looking to score a lot of goals.
“This is something that I believe no-one can doubt.”
Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano is reportedly furious that a move to AC Milan has stalled over the matter of a few million euros.
The 28-year-old Brazil international is adamant that he wants to make the move to the San Siro, but as yet the Rossoneri have failed to meet Sevilla’s valuation of the talented forward.
The player’s agent, Jose Fuentes, told Il Corriere Dello Sport: “The player is furious at the way Milan have behaved. He feels taken for a ride.
“We want to understand how we are supposed to move forward from this. We are waiting for Milan’s move.
“It's not possible that one of the biggest clubs in the world allow the player to slip through their fingers for only a few million. I am disappointed. His price is around 20million euros, but Sevilla could accept around €17million.”
Latest in Sport
Manchester United and Adidas branded 'sexist' and 'discriminatory' as women's shirt features plunging neckline and different design
Cristiano Ronaldo buys agent Jorge Mendes a whole Greek island as a wedding present
Premier League 2015/16 preview: Club-by-club guide to the new season
Pedro to Manchester United: Louis van Gaal says £22m winger can turn Manchester United into champions
Can Arsenal win the Premier League? Is Raheem Sterling the answer to Man City's problems? Can anything stop Chelsea?
- 3 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Giant Minion terrorises drivers in Ireland as 40ft inflatable blocks busy Dublin road
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality