Berlusconi slams Real transfer policy
Monday 22 June 2009
AC Milan president Silvio Berlusconi has criticised Real Madrid for their transfer policy this summer.
The La Liga giants snapped up Kaka from the Rossoneri earlier this month and seem certain to complete the signing of Portugal international Cristiano Ronaldo from Manchester United shortly.
Berlusconi cannot believe the massive transfer fees that have been paid for the two world stars, telling La Gazzetta Dello Sport: "These are figures in football that are pure madness.
"They bear no relation to the normal economy and it is beyond common sense and decency."
As well as Kaka, Andrea Pirlo has also been linked with a move away from the San Siro this summer, with Berlusconi adding: "We will see what will happen.
"I was the first to say he should stay, but we must consider our accounts.
"Milan are a great team. We could even have won the title this year, but we played in the wrong way at times. I was the first to say that we conceded too many goals in the last few minutes."
Meanwhile, Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos claims there will be no dressing room jealousy should Ronaldo arrive at the Bernabeu on record-breaking wages.
The Portugal star is set to join the Spanish club in a record £80m transfer from Manchester United, with reports claiming the World and European player of year has agreed a lucrative contract worth £150,000 per week.
"People are always talking about what footballers are earning, but the truth is that the only people who know are the club, the player and the player's agent," said Ramos.
"If you're happy with your own wages, you won't be worried about what others are making.
"It is up to your agent to look after your contract and Madrid look after their players very well so I don't see any problems in that regards."
Barcelona president Joan Laporta has dismissed reports suggesting that the club wants to sell Samuel Eto'o this summer.
It had been rumoured that the Cameroon international, who almost left the club last summer, would definitely be heading out of the Camp Nou before the start of the new campaign.
However, Laporta told said: "Samuel Eto'o's contract ends next season which means we will be sitting down and talking with the player's representative shortly.
"However, the club is keen to keep hold of Samuel for many more years.
"For me, Eto'o is the best striker in the world. He is a highly-paid player, but it would be nice if he finished his career at Barcelona."
AC Milan and Chelsea continue to be linked with the 28-year old, who has a magnificent scoring record with Barca, finding the net 123 times in only 182 appearances for the club.
Meanwhile, Iceland international Eidur Gudjohnsen could be set to leave Barcelona this summer and move to France.
The former Bolton Wanderers and Chelsea striker has become a peripheral figure at the Camp Nou but still has 12 months to run on his current contract.
However, his father and manager, Arnor, revealed: "The French league is an option.
"However, there has not been any contact from Lyon or Marseille yet. Eidur has not yet decided to leave Barcelona and is taking some time to reflect on his future."
Latest in Sport
Pornhub: Cheeky Liverpool fan uploads Philippe Coutinho wonder-goal video to adult website
Diego Costa keeps coin thrown at him during Capital One Cup final
Lukas Podolski corner: Has the Arsenal forward taken the worst corner of all time?
Ireland 19 England 9 player ratings: Jonathan Sexton? Devin Toner? Alex Goode? Who was the star man in Dublin?
Eden Hazard didn't like the champagne on offer in the Chelsea dressing room
- 1 Bill Clinton portrait features Monica Lewinsky reference, artist admits
- 2 Delhi bus rapist blames dead victim for attack because 'girls are responsible for rape'
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 Average penis size revealed: Scientists attempt to find what is 'normal' to reassure concerned men
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded