Champions League: Neil Lennon calls his Celtic team to go down fighting against Juventus
The Scottish league leaders trail 3-0 after the first leg
Tuesday 05 March 2013
Neil Lennon wants his Celtic players to go down fighting if, as expected, their Champions League campaign ends against Juventus in Turin.
Lennon's men are 3-0 down from the first leg of their last-16 tie and almost certain to exit the competition to the Serie A leaders.
While recalling a "fantastic" European run this season, Lennon insisted his players battle right to the end.
"We haven't had Champions League football for four or five years," he said. "We had some fantastic nights, even against Juventus the atmosphere was amazing.
"Barcelona, Benfica, to have those nights back at Celtic Park has been truly memorable for me. And going up against the best teams in the world, the best coaches in the world, has been a fantastic experience for a group of players who are relatively young in their careers and who haven't cost a lot of money.
"They have excelled, absolutely excelled, and they have done the club and Scotland proud. They have one more crack at it so if we do go out, we want to go out on our shield."
Lennon admits it would be a "minor miracle" if the Scottish champions were to win the tie, but is looking for his players to enjoy the experience.
"It would be a tall order to win the tie 4-0 or 4-1, but we are capable of winning the game and that's what we would like to do," he said.
KO 7.45pm TV Sky Sports 2
Ref F Aydinus (Tur).
First leg Cel 0-3 Juve.
Odds to qualify Juve 200-1 Celtic 25-1.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Joan Smith: Call off the search teams - the G-spot is a myth
- 2 Andreas Whittam Smith: Forget what sounds clever. Just run the country
- 3 Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade
- 4 Steve Richards: Cameron can't easily dismiss the toxic trail to Murdoch's bid
- 5 'Cuddle drug' may be the new Viagra
- 6 Robert Fisk: The Children of Fallujah - the hospital of horrors
- 7 Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural
- 8 Sleeping around: My moment of truth happened at university
- 9 French in uproar over oral sex anti-smoking posters