Champions League round-up: Ronaldo scores twice but Real finish with nine men
Wednesday 24 November 2010
Real Madrid guaranteed they will finish top of Group G with a 4-0 win at Ajax last night thanks to two Cristiano Ronaldo goals and two first-half strikes from Karim Benzema, and Alvaro Arbeloa. However, Jose Mourinho's side finished with nine men after Xabi Alonso and Sergio Ramos were sent off late on.
Milan are through to the knockout stages after a 2-0 win at Auxerre, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Ronaldinho getting their goals. Francesco Totti got the winner from the penalty spot as Roma fought back from two goals down at home to beat already through Bayern Munich 3-2.
In Group F Marseilles took a major step to qualification with a 3-0 win at Spartak Moscow.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture