City left feeling sick after Cavani opens up early exit

 

Roberto Mancini, the Manchester City manager, admitted last night that his side have only a 30 per cent chance of progressing to the Champions League knock-out stage, on another disappointing night in Europe for the Manchester clubs.

Manchester United also face possible group stage elimination, in the unlikely event of them losing in Basle on 7 December, following a 2-2 draw at home to Benfica – though it is City who seem destined for the Europa League after their defeat in a cauldron at Napoli.

"I would give a 70 per cent chance to Napoli and 30 per cent to Manchester City," said Mancini, whose side need to beat Bayern Munich at home and then rely on a poor Villarreal side – who are yet to win in Group A – to draw with, or beat, Napoli. Mancini said he had faith in the Spaniards. "It obviously doesn't depend on us but if Villarreal give a good match they will get a result," he said.

Despite City's greater possession in the 2-1 defeat inflicted by two Edinson Cavani goals, Napoli were denied by three top-class saves by Joe Hart and Mancini was left to answer another series of questions about Mario Balotelli – who played despite reporting sickness on Monday. "He was sick yes, but he didn't have any problems," Mancini said. "It's not his [grass] allergy. He was sick yesterday, a fever, nothing serious. It was not serious enough for him not to play, it was only a small fever."

Balotelli was also pictured with his girlfriend, Raffaella Fico, at a pizzeria in Naples on Monday evening though the manager insisted this was acceptable. "He had my permission to say hello to his girlfriend [last night] for half an hour in a pizzeria in Naples," Mancini said. "But he scored a goal, so maybe I should have sent all of my players to a pizzeria."

City conceded two poor goals but their manager insisted that they simply lost undeservedly. "We conceded two goals that we shouldn't have done," he said. "There is nothing to explain. We are a strong team and we always play to win, but you can occasionally lose matches in the Champions League. We have another game in the group, but if we don't qualify, then we have the Europa League."

That would be a financial calamity to City, who were watched last night in Stadio San Paolo by owner Sheikh Mansour and need the revenues to help reduced the record financial losses which jeopardises their chances of complying with Uefa's financial fair play regime. But Mancini said that "our life doesn't finish if we don't go through. Our target was to go to the second stage, but at this moment, we depend on other teams."

Sir Alex Ferguson said last night that United did not fear playing the biggest teams in Europe in the first knockout round after their draw with Benfica left them likely to finish second in Group C.

Ferguson said: "The opportunities to play Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. You have to judge that this way: if you played them in the semi-final or the final, you would be only too delighted, knowing the possibility is to win the trophy. The clubs we will face will know that too.

"I think we did well [against Benfica] It is hard when you lose a goal so early in the match with the own goal and it took us a bit of time to get our rhythm going again. Once we did, we played really well. We did not deserve what happened tonight, but football can be like that."

Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Sport
The Queen and the letter sent to Charlie
football
Arts and Entertainment
Eurovision Song Contest 2015
EurovisionGoogle marks the 2015 show
News
Two lesbians hold hands at a gay pride parade.
peopleIrish journalist shares moving story on day of referendum
Arts and Entertainment
<p>
<b>Kathryn Williams</b>
</p>
<p>
When I was supporting Ray La Montagne I was six months pregnant. He had been touring for a year and he was exhausted and full of the cold. I was feeling motherly, so I would leave presents for him and his band: Tunnock's Tea Cakes, cold remedies and proper tea. Ray seemed painfully shy. He hardly spoke, hardly looked at you in the face. I felt like a dick speaking to him, but said "hi" every day. </p>
<p>
He was being courted by the same record company who had signed me and subsequently let me go, and I wanted him to know that there were people around who didn't want anything from him. At the Shepherds Bush Empire in London, on the last night of the tour, Ray stopped in his set to thank me for doing the support. He said I was a really good songwriter and people should buy my stuff. I was taken aback and felt emotionally overwhelmed. Later that year, just before I had my boy Louis, I was l asleep in bed with Radio 4 on when Louis moved around in my belly and woke me up. Ray was doing a session on the World Service. </p>
<p>
I really believe that Louis recognised the music from the tour, and when I gave birth to him at home I played Ray's record as something that he would recognise to come into the world with. </p>
booksKathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath
News
Liz Kendall played a key role in the introduction of the smoking ban
newsLiz Kendall: profile
Life and Style
techPatent specifies 'anthropomorphic device' to control media devices
Voices
The PM proposed 'commonsense restrictions' on migrant benefits
voicesAndrew Grice: Prime Minister can talk 'one nation Conservatism' but putting it into action will be tougher
Caption competition
Caption competition
Latest stories from i100

Bleacher Report

Daily Quiz
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

Sun, sex and an anthropological study: One British academic's summer of hell in Magaluf

Sun, sex and an anthropological study

One academic’s summer of hell in Magaluf
From Shakespeare to Rising Damp... to Vicious

Frances de la Tour's 50-year triumph

'Rising Damp' brought De la Tour such recognition that she could be forgiven if she'd never been able to move on. But at 70, she continues to flourish - and to beguile
'That Whitsun, I was late getting away...'

Ian McMillan on the Whitsun Weddings

This weekend is Whitsun, and while the festival may no longer resonate, Larkin's best-loved poem, lives on - along with the train journey at the heart of it
Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath in a new light

Songs from the bell jar

Kathryn Williams explores the works and influences of Sylvia Plath
How one man's day in high heels showed him that Cannes must change its 'no flats' policy

One man's day in high heels

...showed him that Cannes must change its 'flats' policy
Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

Is a quiet crusade to reform executive pay bearing fruit?

Dominic Rossi of Fidelity says his pressure on business to control rewards is working. But why aren’t other fund managers helping?
The King David Hotel gives precious work to Palestinians - unless peace talks are on

King David Hotel: Palestinians not included

The King David is special to Jerusalem. Nick Kochan checked in and discovered it has some special arrangements, too
More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years

End of the Aussie brain drain

More people moving from Australia to New Zealand than in the other direction for first time in 24 years
Meditation is touted as a cure for mental instability but can it actually be bad for you?

Can meditation be bad for you?

Researching a mass murder, Dr Miguel Farias discovered that, far from bringing inner peace, meditation can leave devotees in pieces
Eurovision 2015: Australians will be cheering on their first-ever entrant this Saturday

Australia's first-ever Eurovision entrant

Australia, a nation of kitsch-worshippers, has always loved the Eurovision Song Contest. Maggie Alderson says it'll fit in fine
Letterman's final Late Show: Laughter, but no tears, as David takes his bow after 33 years

Laughter, but no tears, as Letterman takes his bow after 33 years

Veteran talkshow host steps down to plaudits from four presidents
Ivor Novello Awards 2015: Hozier wins with anti-Catholic song 'Take Me To Church' as John Whittingdale leads praise for Black Sabbath

Hozier's 'blasphemous' song takes Novello award

Singer joins Ed Sheeran and Clean Bandit in celebration of the best in British and Irish music
Tequila gold rush: The spirit has gone from a cheap shot to a multi-billion pound product

Join the tequila gold rush

The spirit has gone from a cheap shot to a multi-billion pound product
12 best statement wallpapers

12 best statement wallpapers

Make an impact and transform a room with a conversation-starting pattern
Paul Scholes column: Does David De Gea really want to leave Manchester United to fight it out for the No 1 spot at Real Madrid?

Paul Scholes column

Does David De Gea really want to leave Manchester United to fight it out for the No 1 spot at Real Madrid?