Former Arsenal forward Gervinho 'is like a non-scoring Cristiano Ronaldo' claims Roma team-mate Francesco Totti
Ivorian winger has impressed since joining from Arsenal over the summer
What a difference a year makes.
On New Year’s Day 2013 Gervinho came off for bench for Arsenal for the final 16 minutes of their 1-1 draw with Southampton at St Mary's, looking like a player bereft of confidence and generally confused by the game.
But after an impressive start to life in Italy for Roma, who he joined over the summer, the Ivorian has now been praised by the club’s great captain Francesco Totti, albeit in a strange way.
“If Gervinho could finish then he would be like Cristiano Ronaldo and Roma would never have been able to sign him,” the 37-year-old playmaker was quoted as saying.
Gervinho has scored four goals in 13 appearances for the Serie A side this season, and has proved his doubters wrong with rampaging performances down the wing, just like the Real Madrid forward Ronaldo.
The Roma captain Francesco Totti In fact, there has only really been one blip for Gervinho in his time in Italy - this shocker of a miss against Catania last month. It’s didn’t affect him too much, he went on to score the club’s final goal in the 4-0 rout at the Stadio Olimpico.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin file for divorce after 10 years of marriage
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor David Dinsmore reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Katie Hopkins on LBC: Listen to caller taking The Sun columnist to task over migrant comments
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Migrant boat disaster: Countries across Europe accused of 'closing their eyes' to thousands of deaths in the Mediterranean