Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez in talks with Sampdoria
Tuesday 26 June 2012
Rafa Benitez is in talks with Serie A side Sampdoria to become their new manager, club owner Riccardo Garrone revealed today.
Samp are looking to replace coach Giuseppe Iachini this summer and the former Liverpool tactician is the number one candidate to take his place.
"There have been contacts with Benitez," Garrone said to Sky Italia. "But it's a work in progress."
Iachini took over the Genoa outfit last November and led the team to promotion to Serie A via the play-offs last month.
He is under contract with Samp for another season.
Benitez, meanwhile, has been out of work since being sacked by Inter Milan in December 2010.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 2 Perez Hilton apologises for Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
- 3 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 4 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
- 5 Jennifer Lawrence 'naked sex video' will be leaked threatens 4Chan celebrity photo hacker
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain