Germany coach Joachim Low has demanded an explanation from Schalke striker Kevin Kuranyi, who walked out on the national team during Saturday's 2-1 win over Russia.
Kuranyi, 26, left the Westfalenstadion in Dortmund midway through the World Cup qualifier after being omitted from Low's 18-man squad, with reports claiming the unhappy striker could now announce his international retirement.
“We were all surprised by Kevin Kuranyi's early departure and, despite numerous efforts, neither myself nor team manager Oliver Bierhoff have been able to reach him by telephone," Low told the German Football Association's official website.
“We had the team meeting on Saturday lunchtime when I named the team for the Russia game. Kevin came to me immediately afterwards and expressed his disappointment at not being part of the 18-man squad.
“I can understand his disappointment, but the reaction in the evening was unacceptable. We coaches always have to take tough decisions.”
One man who did feature in the weekend action, Mario Gomez, has dismissed renewed speculation suggesting that he could leave VfB Stuttgart next summer to join Bayern Munich.
The 23-year-old commented: “It's clear that that could be an option for the future.
“But, if Stuttgart continue to use their veto against a transfer next summer then I'll accept that.”
Another man staying put is veteran Hamburg goalkeeper Frank Rost, who has signed a new one-year contract extension with the Bundesliga leaders.
The 35-year-old former Germany international has been with his current club since January 2007, having previously made his name with Werder Bremen and Schalke 04.
Director of sport, Dietmar Beiersdorfer, told the club's official website: “We are delighted we have been able to extend Frank's contract early.
“He is not only a strong foundation to our team, but he has developed a strong identity with the city and the club while he has been here.
“Therefore, he will remain with HSV in a sporting capacity after he ends his playing career.”