Kenny Dalglish expects Uefa action over Andy Carroll attack

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is surprised that UEFA have not taken retrospective action against Braga defender Kaka for his elbow on Andy Carroll last week.

The Reds' record signing was caught full on the nose by the Brazilian late in the second half of their Europa League last 16 first leg defeat in Portugal.

Dalglish was asked what impact the £35million striker had made on his European debut for the club he joined in January, having come on as a substitute.

"Regards Andy Carroll and impact, the biggest impact was what I was asked about after the game about him getting caught with the elbow from Kaka," he told a press conference ahead of tomorrow's second leg at Anfield.

"That will probably be what Andy remembers from the game.

"I never saw it in the game but I've seen it since and if there is no retribution from UEFA it will be a real surprise for me."

Carroll has made two substitute appearances since recovering from a thigh injury which has sidelined him since December 28.

Liverpool need to win to progress and there is a clamour for Carroll to start at Anfield tomorrow, but Dalglish said he was not sure whether that would happen.

"The fitter he gets the more tempting it will be but when that day comes I don't know," he added.

"He is fit and well but what we do with him remains to be seen.

"Whether we will start with him or he comes on in the second half will be decided by how he does in training and what we think is best for us tomorrow night."

Dalglish also said captain Steven Gerrard had begun recovery work after a groin operation last week which is expected to keep him out for a month.

"Steven has had his operation and he feels good," added the Scot.

"He has started his rehabilitation already."

Comments