Lionel Messi poised for fourth Ballon D'Or
Award is handed out tonight, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Andres Iniesta the other contenders
Sunday 06 January 2013
Lionel Messi is set to win a fourth Ballon d'Or tonight, making him the most decorated player in history. The Barcelona forward is up against Cristiano Ronaldo and Andres Iniesta for the award, which is presented in Zurich.
The European Ballon d'Or – whose last winner, in 2009, was Messi – merged in 2010 with the Fifa World Player of the Year award to become the Fifa Ballon d'Or, which the 25-year-old Argentine has won twice so far.
Messi broke Gerd Müller's 40-year-old record last month for the most goals in a calendar year, with 91 in all competitions. But he believes the form of his team-mate Iniesta, who finished behind him in 2010, warrants the award.
Ronaldo, who won the Ballon d'Or in 2008, admitted he would love to win the 2012 award. "If I win, perfect; if I don't, never mind, life goes on. But obviously I'd love to win. I'm not going to lie or be hypocritical," said the 27-year-old Real Madrid forward.
"Fair or unfair, the decision will be what it will. I'll be very happy maybe or very sad. But that's life."
Latest in Sport
Manchester United's best XI of the season so far: No place for Angel Di Maria or Juan Mata
Hector Bellerin opens up on switch from Barcelona to Arsenal
WrestleMania 31 results: Seth Rollins stuns WWE as he cashes in Money in the Bank contract to claim title from Brock Lesnar
WrestleMania 31: What time does it start? Full match card and preview ahead of WWE event
WrestleMania 31: Undertaker begins a new streak after tombstoning Bray Wyatt
- 1 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 2 Germanwings crash: Captain of doomed plane was only 'on board because he changed job to spend more time with his children'
- 3 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 4 Germanwings plane crash: Transcript reveals passengers 'screamed for over five minutes' before plane crashed into mountain
- 5 Germanwings crash: 'Andreas Lubitz planned to marry pregnant girlfriend', claims German report
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew