Luis Suarez's lawyer convinced the CAS will reduce Barcelona striker's ban
Daniel Cravo thinks appeal will be successful on Friday
Thursday 07 August 2014
Luis Suarez's lawyer Daniel Cravo is convinced the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will reduce his lengthy ban for biting Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup.
The Barcelona striker was banned for nine international matches and four months from "all football activity", as well as being fined 100,000 Swiss francs, for the now infamous incident in Brazil.
Suarez is set to appear in front of the CAS in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 8 August after they granted him an "express" tribunal - a decision is expected in the following days.
The £75m man has already been through one appeal with Fifa, who upheld their original ruling. Suarez is not even allowed to train and would not make his Barcelona debut until the weekend of 25 October.
"I think Fifa wanted to show they could take action," Cravo told Radio Globo.
"There was a dissatisfaction with how other incidents had been treated at the World Cup and Suarez paid for them. Not even the sanction of [Zinedine] Zidane in 2006 or those of Leonardo and [Mauro] Tassotti in 1994 were as severe.
"Is the Suarez incident the worst in the history of the World Cup? I believe that the sanction which affects his work at a club level will be revoked. There is no precedent in history to justify it.
"I am going to try and reduce his ban with Uruguay - nine games is too much and would stop him from playing until 2016."
Cravo pointed out that in the past the CAS have not been afraid to overturn Fifa decisions.
"[The CAS] is totally different and on various occasions in the past they have taken completely different decisions to those which have been taken by Fifa," he added.
Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site this morning
Charlie Sheen could be set to revive his role as a hedonistic womaniser
Review: Mike Leigh's biopic is a rambling, rich character study
Want to ward off (or welcome) trick-or-treaters? Here's how
Latest in Sport
Manchester City vs Manchester United combined XI: No place for Yaya Toure... or any United defenders
Sami Khedira transfer news: Arsenal can win the Premier League if they sign Khedira in January, says Perry Groves
Paul Scholes: At last! Some credit for Sam Allardyce
EXCLUSIVE: F1 heading for eastern revolution as new team emerges from Romania
Impressive Kurt Zouma may save Chelsea millions by replacing John Terry
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it
- 5 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything