Manchester City will receive no favours says Bayern Munich chairman
Wednesday 23 November 2011
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has warned Manchester City not to expect any favours when the two sides meet in their final Champions League group fixture on December 7.
Bayern's 3-1 win over Villarreal last night ensured their passage to the last 16 as Group A winners while Napoli's 2-1 win over City took them into second place behind the Bundesliga side.
Napoli travel to Villarreal knowing a win would guarantee them a place alongside Bayern while City know that only a win over the Bavarians would give them a chance of reaching the knockout stages of the competition.
However, Rummenigge has promised that his side will be as committed as ever in Manchester.
"We are still going to try and win in Manchester," he said.
"First of all, there are points for the five-year ranking at stake, and then there are 800,000 euros to the winner.
"We are not going to give anything away."
Bayern have not lost a game in a group seen by many as the most difficult of the lot.
"After winning such a tough group, all you can do is pay a compliment to the team and the coach," said Rummenigge.
"The team did what we expected in that they won again."
Franck Ribery was Bayern's match-winner with two goals on the night and, after missing out on the final in 2010 due to suspension, he is hoping to make up for that next May.
"I hope that we can play in the final in Munich," he said. "That would be a dream.
"We just have to keep our calm and keep playing so well and not have any fear."
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
Latest in Sport
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant