Mata is going nowhere, says Valencia president
Monday 11 July 2011
Valencia president Manuel Llorente insists Juan Mata is "not for sale".
Mata was part of the Spain squad which sealed a first World Cup triumph exactly a year ago today and starred for their Under-21 side in their recent European Championship victory.
Several Premier League sides are thought to be interested in the 23-year-old, who would cost around 20 million euros, but Valencia are adamant he will not be leaving the Mestalla.
"We have no intention of selling and we have not received any formal offers for the player," Llorente told Valencia-based sports daily Superdeporte.
"The news that has appeared in the papers is nothing more than speculation - Juan Mata is not for sale."
Lllorente says Valencia will be looking to strengthen their squad this summer, not weaken it.
"Our plan this summer is to make our squad better and our priority at the moment is to bring in a central defender," he said.
Valencia signed Almeria forward Pablo Piatti last week, but the Argentinian is seen as a replacement for Joaquin, who has joined Malaga.
Latest in Sport
- 1 The truth about 'girl things': Three cheers for Heather Watson's honesty
- 2 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 Men behaving badly: Urinating while standing, 'manspreading' and the gendering of selfishness
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd