Mourinho demands more ambition from Benzema
Friday 01 October 2010
Real Madrid head coach Jose Mourinho believes striker Karim Benzema must show more ambition if he is to become a genuine world-class talent.
The Frenchman has failed to cement a place in the first team since he moved to Santiago Bernabeu from Lyon in July last year.
But, after discussions with France national team coach Laurent Blanc, Mourinho wants to see more from him.
“I am talking a lot about Karim with Laurent. We both believe he has huge qualities," he said. “But maybe he needs to play with more ambition.”
Blanc also admits that he needs to show more and he added: “I believe for some players it is a surprise when they realise their natural qualities are not enough and they have to work tactically and collectively.
“I hope Karim understands that what Jose and I say about him is to help him realise just quite how much potential he really has to do much more than he has done so far.”
Latest in Sport
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show