Mutu banned after failed drug test
Monday 19 April 2010
Fiorentina striker Adrian Mutu has been banned for nine months after failing an anti-doping test in January.
The ruling was confirmed today by the Romania international's club after the case was heard by the Italian Anti-Doping Tribunal this morning.
Mutu's ban will run until October as he has already spent two months on the sidelines.
"Nine-month ban for Adrian Mutu - this is the decision taken by the anti-doping tribunal regarding the positive test for the substance sibutramine by the Viola player. The ban will end on October 29, 2010," said a statement on the Fiorentina website.
"The Viola player had been suspended since January 29 after the positive tests following the game against Bari on January 10 and Lazio on January 20 in the Italian Cup."
This is the second lengthy drugs ban for Mutu, whose Chelsea career ended when he was sacked for cocaine use and banned for seven months.
Mutu had told prosecutors that the traces of sibutramine found in his tests were the result of slimming tablets given to him for his mother.
Today, the 31-year-old reacted angrily to the ruling.
"I feel this is a harsh punishment," he said. "It seems too much. I expected less because, yes, the mistake was made, it's right to pay, but not so much.
"I would like to add that I am sorry for having left Fiorentina without my services for the next few months, both for the club and for the fans."
Latest in Sport
Phil Hughes injury: Cricket world reels as Australian opener fights for his life
Phil Hughes: Batsman had one weakness – it has come back to haunt him
Manchester City vs Bayern Munich comment: Frank Lampard's part in City win shows folly of letting him leave
This letter from a reader explains why women can’t play football
Schalke vs Chelsea: Roberto Di Matteo admits thrashing by former side was most painful defeat of his career
- 1 I'm A Celebrity 2014: Jungle security stepped up after murder and 'suspicious death' near to camp
- 2 Black Friday 2014: Opening times for Asda, John Lewis, PC World, GAME and Argos
- 3 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 4 Girl, 7, gets Tesco to remove 'stupid' sign suggesting superheroes are 'for boys'
- 5 Jeremy Hunt: 'I took my children to A&E because I didn't want to wait for GP appointment'
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
Ukip says babies born to immigrants in the UK should be classed as migrants – which would include Nigel Farage’s own children
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police